Sunday, February 8, 2009

Music

So today at church a guy played an arrangement of I Know That My Redeemer Lives. This has been one of my favorite hymns for a long time. The arrangement was pretty and I enjoyed listening to it. As I sat listening all I could think about was my mom and how she was always practicing some arrangement of the hymns for prelude music or something. I miss hearing the piano being played. Music is such a powerful way for me to feel the spirit. I know that this hymn is one of my mom's favorites as well and she has a hard time getting through it without tears. I find myself having a hard time as well. The words are very powerful!

So I like to sing songs to Oscar throughout the day and when I am rocking him to sleep. I find myself singing the same songs over and over again. So I ask this question to whomever, What songs do you sing to your little ones?

4 comments:

Renee said...

Thanks for brightening my day. I do love the hymns especially "I Know that My Redeemer Lives."

The Primary Songs would be a good place to start. I think he will probably recognize them. He's no doubt heard them before.

Some of my favorites that I use to sing to you were (Can you remember them?): Mister Sandman, I Love You a Bushel & a Peck, I Love the Mountains I Love the Rolling Hills, I Don't Want to Play in Your Yard, Maries e Dottes (Mares eat oats), Would You Like to Swing on a Star, How Much is that Doggie in the Window? etc.

Glad to hear that you're singing. Are you dancing, too? I hope so. He'll be musical if you do.

Have a wonderful happy day with Oscar. We Love You, Mom & Dad

Piano Mom said...

I always sang "My Heavenly Father Loves Me". You know..."Whenever I hear the song of a bird or look at the blue, blue sky..." It's still one of my most favorite songs from the primary song book.

Jennica said...

Since we lived with mom & dad while Spencer was only a few months, I learned many of the songs on mom's list. I also like Bingo, Old Macdonald, Rock a bye baby, mommy's going to buy you a mocking bird, and silent night.

Natalie said...

I love that hymn, too! I always sing to my kids (the poor darlings!); usually soulful, pitiful lonely-heart songs just because I can belt them out and act like an idiot and they think it's funny. I usually end up singing Old MacDonald a few too many times as well, along with "Supposed to Be" (my sisters' song) because the girls just love it. Thanks for coming over on Saturday. It was great to see you and cute little Oscar.