Sunday, December 9, 2007

My day in court...



Saturday I went with Derrick to class so I could be a witness for him in his trial skills class. Derrick thinks it is funny that I was nervous but I really didn't know what to expect. I read over my deposition many times and Derrick asked me questions to make sure I knew what was going on. But when it was all said and done I kept my cool on the witness stand and actually had a fun time doing it. When I was cross examined by Derrick's classmate that was a little scary but it went good. It was fun to see what my dog has been doing in law school. Derrick did a good job, I was impressed. I got to sit through the end of the trial where he gave his closing statement. I met his buddy professor that he goes to the coffee shop with. He told me that Derrick will make a great attorney. It is hard for me to believe that this journey is almost over. The time here in Michigan has gone by fast, I'm ready to be back home but I can't believe where the time goes. It feels like we just got here in ways.

Deke has been busy preparing for his final that is Wednesday. I'm excited to have my husband back when he is done with everything. He has been putting in some long days and nights. I swear last week we spent no time together. Hopefully the next two semesters won't be as busy at the end of the semester. Everything should be winding down now.

We are looking forward to our trip home in a week and half. We will be seeing everyone very soon!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie,

I have enjoyed your blog...much more informative than Derrick's. We can't wait to have you guys home for the Holidays!

Hang in there til finals are over!!

Lola

Piano Mom said...

GO Leslie! I'll bet you were a fabulous trial witness. Anyway, it sounds like fun. And, it's not a big suprise that Derrick will make a good lawyer...he loves to argue! Can't wait to see you!

Deke said...

I have to admit L-dog was pretty damn good on the stand. Since I was without a partner on this last 2-day trial, I had to have Les and my buddy Adam play my witnesses. It was really funny though because she was scared! She tries to blow it off like she was clam and collect, but when the opposing attorney started into her she was nervous. It was fun to have her come to a real trial, getting her up there on the stand was worth every minute. Although, when I was preparing for this last trial I never imagined Terry Escobar was so attractive.

P.S. Lola my blog is full of information.

P.S.S. Alayna I don't like to argue and I don't like driving clear to the Herriman. Oh wait you knew that.

Leslie said...

thanks dog, a guess it doesn't take much to look better than a retired school teacher. She worked longer than I have been alive.

Jennica said...

That sounds like fun. Did you have to get all dressed up and was derrick in a suit and everything? i'm sure he'll be a great lawyer and just think you'll reap all the benefits.

Rachel said...

Sounds scary...glad you managed to keep your cool! I feel like you've been gone "forever"...so I'm way excited to get you back here. Looking forward to Christmas. See you soon!

Anonymous said...

What a lot of experiences you two are having. I know it's been hard in some ways to be away from family but you have learned and grown so much. I'm glad that you can see an end to it all though because it surely will be great to have you closer to home.

See you soon!!! Goodie, Goodie!!!

Love ya, Mom

Deke said...

Um it hasn't been hard, it has been like a vacation. I don't think we will move back close to Utah. I want to keep at least a 10 hour buffer zone.

Goodie, Goodie, Maybe we'll come SLC one or two nights.

Deke said...

Hey how about less sleep and more updating the blog. Nobody needs 15 hours a sleep a night do they?